Republic Region of Peloponnese profile
The responsibilities of the Department of Public Health is mainly the preservation, improvement of health and well-being of the population whether that is local, global,(non)-mobile through multiple collaborations and practices which aim to protect and promote the health and well-being of the individual so he is made competent to have control over his own health and improve it in a contemporary work environment. Other responsibilities include adjusting to changes, the control and protection of occupations and (the provision of) health services with the sole and clear purpose the (non)-patients quality of life and also the needs of vulnerable group populations. Furthermore there is constant development of preventive, protective and promotional health programs.
Following are branch divisions of the DPH :
- The division of occupations and health services.
- The division of Public health.
- The Division of Prevention and Promotion of Health.
Programs which are being carried out by the DPH are :
- Protection against Mosquitoes.
- Precautionary measures against Malaria.
- Awareness and protection against animal related diseases (Rhinal Fever).
- Protection against West Nile Virus (Flavivirus).
- Health Observation which observes public and environmental health (Morbidity evaluation/ Preventive programs aiming the general population/Training programs for health-care practitioners).
- Hygienic controls for detection of potential hazards in drinking water and seawater.
Preventive Programs which are also being carried out are :
- Vaccinations for all age groups.
- Study of air pollution.
- “No smoking” campaign which provides information to primary and secondary students of the harmful effects of smoking to our health.
- Allergies of the upper Respiratory system – ENT.
- “Health for all” which provides health care and is accessible to vulnerable populations.